Saturday, January 16, 2010

Whats the best way to kill the common american red squirrel?

Ive been attempting to hunt down the common red squirrel for some time now seeing as it is not native to the uk. ive heard that they do actually kill the giant grey english squirrel and spread the horrible squirrel pox virus.


my best approach is to simply grab them with my bare hands and either whack them on a rock or punch them until i think they are dead. but this has been a very tedious and frustrating task as ive cant afford a gun and the little things are far too fast. so far ive only killed about 150 over the last 3 months.


my friend is in the same predicament, his method of killing the reds is to simply just stab them with a kitchen knife but personally i find that a bit sick!


seeing as im not very good at killing the disgusting red american squirrel (some times i don't even have the guts to finish them off!) then what is the best way of killing them as quickly as possible as apposed to a slow death?





thanksWhats the best way to kill the common american red squirrel?
absolutely stuck on stupid, huh.Whats the best way to kill the common american red squirrel?
I agree with Beth, stop killing them. Red squirrels and grey squirrels live in different habitats, and do not kill each other.
Really? This whole thing made me laugh and I'm willing to bet it's not true... but I hear scalding hot water = instant death for most anything. I'm still laughing at this.
Snail pellets
I find your question offensive and simply barbaric. Shame on you. If you are going to kill anything it should be in a humane and safe fast way. Better check the laws sounds like animal cruelty to me. I am a rehabber and save these and other critters everyday. Remember everything has a right to life and for you to take it just because you feel like it and you can (obviously cannot without problem though) is shameful. Pick on something your own size. Just because you hate them does not give you the right to kill them.
grey squirrels kill the red squirells!! The reds are native to England (where I am) and there are none - only a few in protected reserves. The grey came from america, and have taken over!! Don't kill them, it's the greys that are killing the reds.





Don't kill them unless they're getting into the house or chewing your house. You can get traps or 'filler' to protect your hosue. Otherwise, they're not a nuiscence at all, I don't see a reason to kill them at all. Maybe get a cat? I have 9 cats and there are only a few GREYS that come in when none of the cats are around, and my teachers cat catches them.
You are not catching squirrels with your bare hands. They are too fast and they would bite you if you did catch one. I don't believe your friend is stabbing them because of their speed. A .410 shotgun is the best way to kill them but you can't afford one. Squirrels are east to trap. The least expensive ways are rat traps and snares. If you use rat traps be sure to tether them or a squirrel with one leg caught can carry one away. Your challenge with traps is where to set them.

No comments:

Post a Comment